Ageing and mens health..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ageing and mens health..

Time is not easy on person , whatever your job, it takes its toll, what are you all doing to stay healthy? i 've climbed ladders with armloads of heavy shit for most of the last thirty years, my joints, shoulders and knees, are all worn..
    for several years i have been modifying my life to live longer and feel healthier, quit smoking almost 7 years ago, that helped i gained about 40 lbs since.. and didn't really feel better.. in the last several years i have changed they way how much and what i eat, going on several diets , with only temporary results, tried drugs too , those were fun , but not really the healthy answer..
    Well , now i am trying yet another approach, I joined a gym, ( i hear ya). first off this isnt a new years resolution or any such thing, I'm not on a diet, But i have again modified what i eat. i do watch and try to assume i'm taking in about 1800 calories a day. And if I eat more, no sweat, back to plan the next day.drinking has been a big one.. i still drink , now just a couple Mic ultras, ever so often and no more of Carries , you forget who you are marguritas..
    Anyway i have been trying this new change of life since around the fourth of the month, and i'll be damned.. i'm starting to feel pretty good.. I was floating around 270, give or take a pound since , i snapped back from my last diet.. well today, i'm at 258, I treadmill , walking and now some running, for 20 to 25 mins.. do upper body on the various torture machines they have , followed by 10 to 15 mins. on a stationary bike , or elipptical, back to a repeat of the upper body sets, followed 10 more minutes on the treadmill.. roughly i'm there about an hour, and working out for about 45 to 50 minutes.. and i am really enjoying it.. first and second week were a bitch, now its all good.. i go 4 to 5 times a week , still eat good , am not hungry and amazed at the results..
    the reason i posted this, is becuase i'm interested , what do you do, how do you maintain your health, and any suggestions you have for joint care..
    And ruby is getting faster , her rider is getting lighter..
    Ride free, my brother, my friend..
    Garry Gipson, 5/20/10
    Ride free Mr. Jimi!
    fresh asaphalt and cold beer forever. Rock star, 3/23/14
    sigpic

Up until a few years ago, I roller skated 4-6 times a week 2 - 3 hours each time. I damned near "lived" in the skate rink since I was 6 and then started working there part time until I got tired of the owner's bullshit.
    Since I stopped working there and I quit skating I've gained 35 lbs. I went to tie my shoes last week and I had trouble breathing...

The gov't contract I work under changed companies and the new company gave me a free membership at the cities fancy recreation center, which I understand includes a personal trainer.

Now I just have to get my (not yet too) fat ass up there and get moving, I guess you're going to be my inspiration.

Congratulations

Comment

roller skating.. damn been years since i done that, i'm still getting vertigo from the treadmills..lol
      not really looking for congrats , more interested , in what you all are doing to stay fit, and what you've found to help with the pains..
      Garry Gipson, 5/20/10
      Ride free Mr. Jimi!
      sigpic

Comment

I've changed my eating habits too...... working with a low carb diet, lots of salads. Calorie intake is around 1000 per day, no breads or fatty foods, lots of chicken and fish. I'm also taking a multi vitamin and fish oil daily. Just started out on the treadmill, and I may join a gym here in town. I was 284 when I started this, and I'm 253 now, hoping to get down around 220 by May.
        ride safe, stoney.

sigpic

"some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push 'em down the stairs..."

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
          I've changed my eating habits too...... working with a low carb diet, lots of salads. Calorie intake is around 1000 per day, no breads or fatty foods, lots of chicken and fish. I'm also taking a multi vitamin and fish oil daily. Just started out on the treadmill, and I may join a gym here in town. I was 284 when I started this, and I'm 253 now, hoping to get down around 220 by May.
          good i hate fish.. whats fish oil good for?
          awsome your losin weight too.. i'd like to break the 200 mark , but be happy if i get back around 220..
          have a cookie..lol
          Garry Gipson, 5/20/10
          Ride free Mr. Jimi!
          sigpic

Comment

Keep yer fuckin' cookie.......

Fish oil is high in Omega-3 fatty acids. It helps with digestion, joint pain and a shitload of other things. I take a 100mg capsule once a day. Another thing that's helping with the weight loss is water..... lots of water. I drink about 14 glasses a day now.
            ride safe, stoney.

sigpic

"some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push 'em down the stairs..."

Comment

Good for you Jammy,it's fuck'n tough ain't it.
              I was about 270 at one point,started watching what I eat more and got on a mountain bike,liked to have killed me at first but it got better.
              I dropped down to the low 240's and felt a lot better,riding the bike was even a little fun after a while.
              Then I went long haul truck'n for a few months and didn't have the bike along so I packed healthy food in the rig to stay out of the truck-stop garbage pits and I'd walk a couple hrs every night before hitting the sleeper.
              Another job change to delivering Dollar Tree stores and home every Saturday,well the half sized sleeper meant no storage so I had to eat restaurant food but I was hand unloading a 53' trailer 3-5 times a week and driving 9-10 hrs a day too so I was able to eat about 4000-5000 calories a day and still lost more weight lol.
              Hard fucking work!....I could eat two double cheeseburgers,fries and down a large milkshake and still loose a couple lbs a day lol.
              I got down to 239 at one point,then yet another job change right before the holidays,home every day (working nights) but too rummy from lack of sleep to ride the bike and the weather hasn't been with me either plus Thanksgiving and Christmas food and now I'M BACK UP TO 252LBS....DAMN!
              I do climb some ladders at work and get in and out of the truck a lot but most of my average 12 hr shift is driving,I've had to wean myself off the cheeseburgers and overall try to eat much less,that's been hard after what I was consuming doing Dollar Tree but I'm getting there.
              I spiked at 256 and I'm back down at 252 now,been looking at that mountain bike over in the corner of the room just waiting for some better weather,I've been on nights almost 5 months now and starting to get used to it so I'll start riding again soon with hopes of a move to day-shift.
              Fuck I hate working nights but the money is pretty good and I'm home every day.
              I'm going to shoot for 235 lbs this Summer and see if I can hold there.....will power....will power....will power......will power!
              Just say no to....
              Electraglide Roadtripper
              Twizzle, twazzle, twozzle, twome; time for this one to come home.

Comment

Jammin,
                From a guy that's looking where you've already been, the congrats are because you deserve them.

But on the lighter side, it's nice to know I'm not the only guy here that's sporting a spare tire, even if it is just a small donut spare. lmao

Comment

Hell ya Rob, keep it up. Been trying to get back in the groove myself, but I haven't been able to get the routine set.
                  Question everything, but believe anything is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                    Keep yer fuckin' cookie.......

Fish oil is high in Omega-3 fatty acids. It helps with digestion, joint pain and a shitload of other things. I take a 100mg capsule once a day. Another thing that's helping with the weight loss is water..... lots of water. I drink about 14 glasses a day now.
                    wheres the love? lol!, i do drink lotsa water, i have noticed that my skin feels smoother, the girls noticed it also..
                    Originally posted by Y2K View Post
                    Good for you Jammy,it's fuck'n tough ain't it.
                    I was about 270 at one point,started watching what I eat more and got on a mountain bike,liked to have killed me at first but it got better.
                    I dropped down to the low 240's and felt a lot better,riding the bike was even a little fun after a while.
                    Then I went long haul truck'n for a few months and didn't have the bike along so I packed healthy food in the rig to stay out of the truck-stop garbage pits and I'd walk a couple hrs every night before hitting the sleeper.
                    Another job change to delivering Dollar Tree stores and home every Saturday,well the half sized sleeper meant no storage so I had to eat restaurant food but I was hand unloading a 53' trailer 3-5 times a week and driving 9-10 hrs a day too so I was able to eat about 4000-5000 calories a day and still lost more weight lol.
                    Hard fucking work!....I could eat two double cheeseburgers,fries and down a large milkshake and still loose a couple lbs a day lol.
                    I got down to 239 at one point,then yet another job change right before the holidays,home every day (working nights) but too rummy from lack of sleep to ride the bike and the weather hasn't been with me either plus Thanksgiving and Christmas food and now I'M BACK UP TO 252LBS....DAMN!
                    I do climb some ladders at work and get in and out of the truck a lot but most of my average 12 hr shift is driving,I've had to wean myself off the cheeseburgers and overall try to eat much less,that's been hard after what I was consuming doing Dollar Tree but I'm getting there.
                    I spiked at 256 and I'm back down at 252 now,been looking at that mountain bike over in the corner of the room just waiting for some better weather,I've been on nights almost 5 months now and starting to get used to it so I'll start riding again soon with hopes of a move to day-shift.
                    Fuck I hate working nights but the money is pretty good and I'm home every day.
                    I'm going to shoot for 235 lbs this Summer and see if I can hold there.....will power....will power....will power......will power!
                    Just say no to....
                    yeah Dean my job is a lot like yours , drive for hours work a little , eat at a shit hole... been part of the problem, Dont forget! this late summer early fall.. unless soemthin stoopid happens in my world , you are gonna see me, in your hood.. all these years lookin at them pics..

Originally posted by 05Glide View Post
                    Jammin,
                    From a guy that's looking where you've already been, the congrats are because you deserve them.

But on the lighter side, it's nice to know I'm not the only guy here that's sporting a spare tire, even if it is just a small donut spare. lmao
                    lol, thanx for the words..
                    Originally posted by pquirk View Post
                    Hell ya Rob, keep it up. Been trying to get back in the groove myself, but I haven't been able to get the routine set.
                    i dont see me stopping at this point, matter fact hotel i am lookinat in maggie valley has a gym, ha fucks lookin out the window and seeing this fatboy running up a hill..lol
                    also on a side note.. workin out makes me want to hammer the bitches even harder..lol
                    Garry Gipson, 5/20/10
                    Ride free Mr. Jimi!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jamman View Post
                      i dont see me stopping at this point, matter fact hotel i am lookinat in maggie valley has a gym, ha fucks lookin out the window and seeing this fatboy running up a hill..lol
                      Workin out with a hangover sux. lol
                      Question everything, but believe anything is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by pquirk View Post
                        Workin out with a hangover sux. lol
                        yeah i dont like to go to the gym after i've had a coupl either
                        Garry Gipson, 5/20/10
                        Ride free Mr. Jimi!
                        sigpic

Comment

Well about 7 years ago I read this article about biking your way back to health bought a motorcyle and gained 20 pounds. Reread the article and they were talking about a bicycle it would have been a hell of a lot cheaper. Keep at it Jam fixin to join the walking club pretty quit
                          sigpic

I LOVE TITTIES

REMBEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM

Comment

hell yeah snuffy. go man go
                            Garry Gipson, 5/20/10
                            Ride free Mr. Jimi!
                            sigpic

Comment

Hey Jamman! I haven't been around in a while. Just wanted to say thanks for posting this thread, I am getting on in yrs and have abused myself over most of them. I am very interested in finding out what is working for people for various different things. I haven't struggled with weight issues as I have been between 140 and 180 since high school which isn't bad for my height. I need to quit smoking, (if you remember back, I tried this before) and I have rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis. The later 2 are something I just have to deal with but what has worked for people to really quit smoking?

Anyway, Thanks for posting and I will be lurking!

Comment

Working...
                              X