Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kimber Custom II first impressions

I'm amazed. I'm pleased.

The entry level Kimber all steel 1911 is one fine pistol. Bear in mind, I'm a new shooter, and the only frame of reference in the 1911 world was my Colt M1991A1 Ser. 80.

Here's what I brought home.

I'm going by the book. Manual said "clean & oil" before shooting. That I did. I know they put a round or two before it leaves Yonkers, and it was indeed dirty. I thought I'd class it up a little with a spare set of Walnut stocks I had, and I'll be using my Chip McCormick mags.

Another thing I did to the iron sights was something I did with my colt- painted the front sight tip with white paint.

Well, function-wise, I ran 133 factory 230 gr. ball through it. Then sneaked in 14 rounds of my re-loads (230 gr. FMJ HP-38 near max) and the gun was flawless. Period.

Accuracy- well, bear in mind I'm not all that good of a shot. But I was well pleased. Even amazed. I shot a lot at 17 yards (the range I was at is 50' max) both resting, and offhand. Here's some of my best...

Slide fit is amazing. I like the trigger, too. It seems a # or so lighter than the Colt.

I'm happy!
    . 2000 Dyna Superglide . sigpic

Minor gripe- the furnished magazine. It's crappy.

Felt like someone dropped it in the sand or something.

I put it back in the box. I have several decent McCormicks I use.

Comment

Nice Dave,love the walnut grips for sure.
      I have a Chip McCormick 10 round for my Smith,adds more fun when you just want to blast away a bunch of rounds lol.
      Electraglide Roadtripper
      Twizzle, twazzle, twozzle, twome; time for this one to come home.

Comment

Nice, you'll like it.

Comment

Continued the "break-in" tonight. Am I gonna show you the best target? Hell yes! Am I gonna show the not-so-good? Uhhhh. No.

Seriously, I'm pleased. No feed issues; flawless working. Well, the pistol's flawless so far. (The shooter is challenged)

So... as far as I'm concerned... this dude is broken in. The last 40 rounds I shot were my re-loads.

Comment

Don't break into Dave's house.
            Electraglide Roadtripper

Comment

Originally posted by Y2K View Post
              Don't break into Dave's house.
              Or... ANY house in Texas!

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                Or... ANY house in Texas!

Or any house in my neighborhood.

Electraglide Roadtripper

Comment

Or in Missouri.

Comment

She's broken in now. Flawless feeding, ejection.

I'm feeding it my reloads now- FMJ ball 230 gr. over HP-38 5.2 gr. pretty much like factory ball ammo, and a very economical 200 gr. RNFP bullet at 750 fps with Titegroup 4.2 gr.

I can reload that last one for about 12 cents.

Man, I'm liking this pistol!

Comment

It's great to hear from another satisfied Kimber owner.

My Kimber definitely makes me a better shot. I know you can spend more for a 1911, but their accuracy can't be beat. Only a better marksman could give another gun the advantage.

Comment

Probably thru 800 rounds now on the Kimber, and I'm still very pleased. My son Aaron (aka Glock-boy) and I got to the range yesterday and sent a shit-load of stuff downrange. Mechanically, the Kimber has fed and ejected flawlessly. This session was made using just a handful of Federal and Winchester factory hardball ammo, and the majority of it shooting reloads of three types. 75% plated round nosed, 25% coated lead round nosed. Most 900fps loads, some 750 fps "more pleasant" range loadings.

"Glock boy" has a compact G30S in .45acp and it's mayhem to practice with. He put almost 100 rounds through the Kimber and couldn't stop talking about it on the way home.

I'm not that good of a shot... a beginner, really. But, judging from the absence of fliers and embarrassing 7 rings, etc. it's getting better.

I always said I wanted to get as close as I normally get with my Smith revolver. I'm gaining on it. Trouble is, I've been so interested in 1911's of late, what marginal skill I had with my 686 has faded somewhat.

First two from 10 yards offhand, then a 17 yard off a rest (range bag) and then my S&W.

Poor to average to many, but good for me!

Last edited by Big D; 03-09-2015, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Very exceptionable, you can be on my side in a gun fight.

Comment

Stairman? I get in a gunfight? I'd:

1) Poop my pants,

2) Die of a heart attack

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                              Stairman? I get in a gunfight? I'd:

1) Poop my pants,

2) Die of a heart attack

Me too, let's hope we never need our pistols for their intended usage.

Comment

Working...
                              X